Protect Your Skin from the Sun and Other Elements this Summer
We all want to have fun in the sun, but those damaging rays, along with some of the other elements you’ll be exposed to this summer, can have some damaging effects on your skin. With the warm weather upon us, it’s time to start thinking about proper skincare to keep your skin healthy, soft, and beautiful.
What are the dangers of the sun and other elements to my skin?
- The sun. Some sunlight exposure is healthy. It helps our bodies create vitamin D and can even lift your mood. It’s no wonder that people love to get out and have fun in the sun. But too much exposure is a problem – mostly because of ultraviolet (UV) light. Too much exposure to UV light damages your skin and can cause dryness and visible signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines, as well as increasing the risk of skin cancer.
- Chlorine. A dip in the pool can be refreshing on a hot summer day, and swimming is excellent exercise. But too much exposure to the chlorine we use to keep our pools clean can make your skin flaky and dry, and it can even promote some of the same premature agings as the sun. Chlorine can also cause skin rashes and irritation for some people.
- Sweat. When it’s hot out, we sweat to help cool off, but it contains ammonia, sodium, and other compounds that can irritate or dry out your skin if not properly cleansed away.
With all these dangers, what’s the best skincare routine for summer?
Thankfully, there is a way to enjoy all the fun that warm summer months have to offer without damaging your skin – a great skincare routine.
Great skincare is so much more than just cleansing your skin every morning. You need a comprehensive skincare routine at home as well as professional skincare on a regular basis to keep your skin healthy.
- Professional facials. Experts agree that regular professional facials are a must for good skincare all year round, and they’re even more important in the summer. Our expert esthetics instructors recommend monthly customized facials to keep your skin healthy, soft, and firm. At Summit Salon Academy KC, we recommend monthly Dermalogica® facials that are customized to your exact skincare needs. Customized Dermalogica® facials give your skin the full treatment – from a deep cleanse to stimulating massage to an ultra-hydration that will leave your skin soft and smooth. Professional facials help your skin stimulate its own processes of rejuvenation, building more collagen and elastin proteins for firmness while stimulating faster skin cell renewal to keep your skin healthy, soft, and young-looking.
- Morning routine. Everyone needs a morning routine that’s developed with your individual skincare needs in mind. The student estheticians at Summit Salon Academy KC are trained to fully assess your skin’s needs, from identifying your skin type to developing a series of Dermalogica® products that are designed to address your skincare issues. Each morning routine should include cleansing, toning, and moisturizing, with occasional exfoliation as recommended by your Summit Salon Academy KC esthetician.
- Evening routine. The next step is developing an evening skincare routine, which includes cleansing, toning, and moisturizing but also adds essential serums and treatments necessary for your individual skincare needs.
- Sun care. Of course, no summer skincare routine is complete without proper sun care. Always wear sunscreen, even on cloudy days, because those UV rays can even reach through the clouds to possibly damage your skin. Your Summit Salon Academy KC esthetician will recommend the right professional salon brand sunscreen to meet your skin’s needs.
Your esthetician at Summit Salon Academy Kansas City will provide a full skincare assessment and help you choose the right products for your needs.
You can have a great summer without worrying about skin damage with the help of the experts at Summit Salon Academy Kansas City. Make an appointment today and let our fully trained student estheticians assess your skin type and individual skin concerns, then develop the right skincare regimen to keep your skin healthy and soft for many years to come.
All of our students are fully trained and supervised by licensed, professional estheticians to ensure the best skincare for you! You can find us at 815 West 23rd St S in Independence, MO, or call us at (816) 252-4247 x301 to schedule your professional facial or skin assessment appointment. You can also find more information, book an appointment, and get reminders for your skincare services appointments right on your mobile device with our free mobile app. Download it today from iTunes and Google Play.